News and Events
Exam Blow-Out and Relaunch Event
Date: Wednesday, 23 January 2019
Time: 6:00 pm
Venue: Love Lane Brewery (formerly Tap & Still), 62-64 Bridgewater St, Baltic Triangle, Liverpool L1 0AY
The exams will be over and all that hard work and revision will no doubt have taken its toll. So, let's put put on an event to allow you to kick back and relax.
The CILEx Liverpool Branch is here to help provide social and professional support to lawyers and legal personnel in Liverpool and the surrounding areas, whether you are a CILEx member or not. The aim of our first event of 2019 is to introduce you to the Branch, introduce us to you and help relaunch the Branch so it can move forward and continue supporting you in your legal career.
So join us at Love Lane Brewery on Wednesday, 23 January 2019 from 6:00 pm!
We will be having a charity raffle, raising money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
There is also an optional tour of the brewery (lasting about 20 minutes) with beer tasting. This will be subject to numbers.
Tickets are FREE, but limited to 40 people. To let us know you are attending, please email us your details, or complete the form on our LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook page. If you are interested in taking the tour, please let us know too.
If you would like to sponsor this event or future events, please get in touch.
Annual General Meeting
The Liverpool Branch held its Annual General Meeting at MSB Solicitors in Liverpool on 28 February. It was a great opportunity to meet new contacts, catch up with old friends and discuss the future of the Liverpool Branch.
Our Treasurer John McCreanney Speaks at Liverpool Law Society Event - 'Pathways to the Legal Profession'
In keeping with the Society's desire to be inclusive and encourage entry to the profession from all backgrounds, students from all schools and colleges across Merseyside were invited to attend the information-giving event on 7 February 2018. The Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Councillor Malcolm Kennedy, welcomed over 130 pupils and teachers from 22 schools to the Liverpool Town Hall.
A panel of speakers from key institutions across the city outlined the various entry routes into the Law – from the traditional university route to the modern apprenticeship route, and other options in between. Directors of Liverpool Law Society were also present during the refreshment break to be on hand to answer any of the young adults' queries.
The thanks of the Society are given to Slater and Gordon who not only sponsored the event but also provided an apprentice speaker to talk about their day-to-day working life. Thanks also go to the other speakers and organisations supporting the event: BPP, CILEx, Hill Dickinson, Liverpool John Moores University, Merseyside Junior Lawyers Division, University of Law, and the University of Liverpool.
Much positive feedback was received from the students and teachers who attended the event:
Liverpool Law Society Annual Dinner
- “It provided a great deal of information quickly and succinctly. It was very enjoyable and helpful. All the speakers were helpful and friendly.” Merchant Taylors’ Boys’ School student.
- “Great experience” Greenbank High School student.
- “The people who have spoken at the event are incredibly knowledgeable and able to provide advice regarding law and careers associated with law” Holly Lodge Girls’ College student.
- “The experience today has been essential in providing information about law. The speakers were incredibly inspirational” Sacred Heart Catholic College student.
- “Very informative.” West Kirby Grammar School teacher
- “Great venue and the stands and people on the stands were useful and insightful and easy to talk to.” Birkenhead School student.
- “I learnt a lot about the different routes into law and got a chance to ask questions to solicitors. I really enjoyed the event and feel that it has broadened my knowledge of law in general and as a career choice” Upton Hall School FCJ student.
The branch would like to thank the Liverpool Law Society for inviting us to their annual dinner. It was a wonderful evening and we look forward to maintaining our links in the future.